Shortland and Fort - asset repositioning
Shortland and Fort Streets, Auckland CBD
Case Study - Shortland and Fort
- Project management
- Contract administration
- Engineer to contract
- Several complexities arose around the purchase of the ground floor retail space on Fort Street and converting it into a new lobby, with three new high-speed lifts to replace the previous two lifts connecting to the main Shortland St entrance.
- The start of the project was delayed due to issues with the building's body corporate, which disputed aspects of our Client’s acquisition of retail space on Fort Street to make way for the new entrance.
- Time-consuming change to strata titles across various areas, as well as requiring numerous meetings and presentations with the body corporate to eventually gain their agreement.
- Installing three new lifts into two existing shafts; and undertaking base building upgrades to enhance the building’s seismic rating.
- The base build works were highly challenging and complex, requiring re-piling underneath a nine-level structure on the Fort Street side of the property, as well as working within an occupied building.
- RDW solved uncertainty over how many lifts would be required to service the new Fort Street entrance by installing cameras to monitor lift usage rates before the project started.
- The client was very happy with the award-winning transformation of a dated asset into a highly attractive, contemporary corporate workspace.
- Shortland and Fort is now fully leased to a number of highly-regarded organisations.
- The project achieved highly functional and attractive connectivity between two streets, linking with the Fort Street, Britomart and Commercial Bay areas as well as Shortland Street.
- The award-winning new lobby, upgraded amenities and new shared facilities - including market-leading cyclist and end-of-trip facilities, an upgraded gym exclusively for building occupiers, a new business centre and refurbished Ara Eatery café and roof terrace - position the building as one of the top-tier office towers in Auckland CBD.