Retail Shopping Centre Seismic Upgrade Project
- Project management
- Contract administration
- Engineer to contract
- Significant and variety of challenges due to age of building, physical location of upgrade works and detailing of structural modifications.
- Upgrades to existing building services in order to accommodate seismic upgrade construction and remediation.
- Construction works undertaken in a live operational and facility trading environment. The majority of construction works were undertaken outside of shopping centre operating hours – 10 hours, seven days per week trading. Internal areas opened up overnight to perform work and closed in prior to opening the following day.
- Design amendments needed during construction phase, as a result of opening up areas previously inaccessible.
- ACM removal required to some areas prior to construction works commencement.
- Achieved property owner targeted NBS rating and achieved CPU and CCC with Auckland Council.
- Seismic performance of the building is now significantly improved.
- Happy property owner with increased ability to attract greater pool of shopping centre tenants with improved lease terms.
- Upgrade works were completed under the initial project budget and ahead of programme.
‘The RDW project team understood the expectations of the client in what would predicate the successful delivery of the project. RDW recognizes the many challenges when undertaking construction works within a live operating retail environment and proactively and collaboratively work with all stakeholders to minimise the impact to the centre, retailers and customers, whilst managing and administering the contract works professionally.
Throughout the works RDW continued to seek opportunities to achieve programme improvements, re-sequencing and cost outcomes to meet SCSC’s project objectives and critical retailer handovers.
The Shore City Shopping Centre works were completed on time and on budget with an exceptional standard of finish and I congratulate the RDW’s project team for the significant contribution to this successful outcome.’