Seismic Strengthening of Office Tower
Precinct Properties New Zealand
SAP Tower, Auckland CBD
Full Tower (All Floors)
- Project management
- Contract administration
- Engineer to contract
The assignment was very complex in several ways:
- Installation of large structural steel plates into the existing concrete floor over multiple levels which then had to be connected to steel brackets fixed to the sheer walls.
- Undertaking noisy and dusty structural alterations in a fully occupied building.
- Making good all tenancy finishes to affected areas.
- liaising with tenants to keep them fully informed of progress.
The project was extremely successful, increasing the seismic rating of the building from 35% to the client’s goal of 80% of New Building Standard (NBS), with very little disruption whatsoever to the operation of the building:
- No complaints from tenants.
- The strengthening works have delivered a tower which now satisfies market requirements for seismic performance and this will reflect in high tenant occupancy levels going forward and an increase market value.
- The client expected the works on site to take 10 months, but the project was completed a month ahead of programme.
- The project was completed well within budget which exceeded clients’ expectations.
‘Over the past 12 years, Precinct Properties New Zealand Limited has worked closely with Rebbeck Dunn Watters Ltd. Their diverse skills, depth of experience and professionalism in both the Building Surveying and Project Management disciplines have made a direct contribution to increasing performance and lowering expenditure across the entire Precinct portfolio.
It is rare to come across a team that fully appreciates the key drivers for large institutional property owners.’